Sunday, August 9, 2009

Book - Frank McCourt

I meant to write this post several weeks ago upon hearing the news of Frank McCourt's death, but this is better late than never. Many may know of Frank McCourt's most popular memoir "Angela's Ashes." If you haven't read this book than you might be thinking of it like I once did - a very sad memoir best to be avoided unless one wants to feel depressed about poor Irish lads. However, you'd only be part right. Yes. McCourt had a very sad childhood - depressing on all fronts. However, Frank writes about it in an incredibly hilarious and moving way. I can't remember the time I devoured a (non-Harry Potter) book so ravenously.

When I finished "Angela's Ashes" I was so sad that I would no longer get to witness Frank's brilliant story-telling... but then I found out there was a sequel, and then yet another memoir about his teaching career. Please do yourself a favor and read not just "Angela's Ashes" but also "'Tis" and "Teacher Man." They are all incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment