Monday, August 10, 2009

TV - Mad Men

People of Earth: there are only *6* more days to suffer through until the return of Mad Men. In case you haven't seen the show yet - don't worry - this is plenty of time to watch all of Season One and Season Two. The DVD box sets are on super sale at Best Buy and are pretty darn cheap on iTunes (like $17 bucks for all of Season One... not bad for 13 hours of goodness!)

A lot of people in my life don't like the show. My husband and father for starters, and maybe Metta said once she couldn't get into it. These people hold a large amount of real-estate in my heart but they are so so so so wrong. Mad Men is good. It is not chipper, but it is radiantly beautiful. Talk about a show shot like a movie.





One of my favorite things about the show is the roles it has provided three very lucky actresses. It's the 1960s in both the corporate and suburban world, it's not such a great time to be a woman. It's all about being seen not heard, and these gals are struggling to feel valued. January Jones, Christina Hendricks, and Emmy nominated Elisabeth Moss are all super stars.

And then of course we have the real reason to watch: JON HAMM!! Did you know they used footage of him from his high school swim team to draw Prince Eric? : D

Familiar with the show? Click HERE to see two awesome videos from Hamm's peformance on SNL (Two A-Holes Go To An Ad Agency in the 1960s and Don Draper's Guide to Life)

Here are some cocktail recipes so you can get in the mood proper:

Gimlet:
2 oz. Gin
1/2 oz. Lime Juice

Combine in a shaker with ice.
Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Serve with a lime squeeze.


Old Fashioned:
2 oz blended whiskey
1 sugar cube
1 dash bitters
1 slice lemon
1 cherry
1 slice orange

Combine the sugar cube, bitters, and 1 tsp. water in an old-fashioned glass. Muddle well, add blended whiskey, and stir. Add a twist of lemon peel and ice cubes. Add slices of orange and lemon and top with the cherry. Serve with a swizzle stick.

Pimm's Cup:
2 oz Pimm's No. 1
3 oz lemonade
lemon twist for garnish
cucumber slice or peel for garnish

Pour the Pimm's into a collins glass with ice cubes.
Add the lemonade and (if desired) a splash of club soda or lemon-lime soda.
Garnish with the lemon twist and cucumber.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, okay. I'll watch. When I get home. But I'm so behind on other stuff right now. Weeds, True Blood . . . is Dexter on right now? I don't even know!!

    But I will get to Mad Men. I like Elizabeth Moss a lot, but Vincent Kartheiser is what made me give up on my first try with this show. I probably told you before how I hold a grudge against him for singlehandedly ruining Angel. But, I'll try to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vincent is definitely the villain in Season One, but in Season Two he is much more innocuous. Hang in there, you can do it.

    AND TRUE BLOOD IS SO GOOD RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete