Wednesday, April 28, 2010

TV and Book - "Justified"

Due to enthusiastic recommendations from the Dwyer's and Damon Lindelof, I decided to catch up with the new show on FX, Justified.  It is super good!  A little procedural, a lot Western, smirky and engaging.  AND it gives me a new TV boyfriend to help with me with my soon-to-be-enacted Sawyer withdrawal and my enduring Don Draper hiatus heartpangs. 

Because I'm a little OCD, I decided I had to read the short story by Elmore Leonard, "Fire in the Hole," from which the show is based before tuning in.    Funny thing - the pilot episode of "Justified" is just about 95% word-for-word the short story.  Seriously!   I've never seen a truer page-to-screen adaption.  So don't feel like you have to read the story to catch any further insight - although it's certainly well written.  It can be found in Leonard's collection of short stories called "When the Women Come Out to Dance."

And as for "Justified" it's on Tuesday nights at 10pm on FX.   As of this post, we're between episode 6 and 7 now of the first season.    5 episodes are kept on Hulu, but as of right now you can still watch the pilot on FX's website. 

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! Remember when we had a blog. That was fun.

    I just love this show. Definitely more procedural than I generally like, but if I can get past it for Bones, I can get past it for this.

    And I love me some Timothy Olyphant. Especially as this character, which is basically the same one he played in Deadwood. The supporting cast is far from shabby as well.

    Dustin's only problem with it so far is that the women are to pretty to be believable as being from backwoods Kentucky. Sorry, Kentuck-ians. I know what he means, bub it isn't jarring or anything. I mean aren't most actors on TV too attractive to believe as anything other than gorgeous celebrities? That's obviously a generalization, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to netflix Deadwood. I also like the Man In Black guy on Lost who was apparently also on that show.

    Tell Dustin not to forget that there are real belles in them hills. Just think of Carrie Underwood! She came from deep in the backwoods and is Disney Princess pretty.

    ReplyDelete