Wednesday, May 5, 2010

TV - What is wrong with me?!

Dear "Glee" and "American Idol" - I wish I knew how to quit you!  Why can't I stop watching these terrible shows?!? Read more for my whiny ramblings and my sad prediction for tonight's Idol.


My beef with Glee can be summarized easily: it makes absolutely no effort to make any sense!  At every turn the characters make totally bizzarre choices that come from such flawed and unrealisitc decision processes that my stomach starts to ache.   What gets me is that the show's writers/producers/directors claim that this is a character piece first and a singing concert second.  Absolutely false.   And don't even get me started on the barf-inducing Will Schuster / Matthew Morrison.  This show is SO BAD but I can't look away.  I groan and literally hold my hands over my eyes, but then I peak through my fingers...  For how much longer can this go on?  I think it will help if the musical numbers continue their downward slope.  Perhaps soon I will be able to break free. 



And as for Idol - there's nothing much to say that you don't know already.  The contestants are completely lack-luster.  I enjoy Crystal's voice, but (as I think Metta said to me once??) there's no way in any other season she'd have made it past the final three.   And now that she is sort of sassing the judges I truly fear that she won't win the crown.  Would she even want it?  I'm not sure...  But the fact that Lee would win this season is SO SAD.  In any other season would he have even made it to the top TWELVE? Dispicable!  


After last night's Sinatra show I'm actually thinking that Crystal is in serious trouble of being in the bottom two.    I predict Lee and Mike will be told they're safe - perhaps giving us a vision of the most boring season finale of Idol in HISTORY - and then it'll be down to Crystal, Aaron*, and Casey.   Then I really do think it'll be between Crystal and Casey with Casey going home.  That boy is crazy pretty but Kara was absolutely right when she said he bleats like a lamb.   It's time for him to move on the Calvin Klein ads and perhaps a pleasant troubadour career ("Jealous Guy" was tremendous).   


I think Aaron will have gotten more votes that Crystal because I wouldn't be surprised if he had a strong Southern Mom vote (Clay Aiken style) who would've really loved his hair last night.   Crystal, on the otherhand, got sassy, sang weird, and showed off her back tattoo.  


Anyway - God help me I can't stop watching these terrible programs.  Please keep me in your prayers. 


* It took me three minutes to come up with that kid's name.  THAT'S HOW BAD THIS SEASON IS!

2 comments:

  1. 100% agreed. I keep saying about Glee that all of the characters simply behave in a way that is completely not consistent with human nature. It's not just that it's not believable. Lots of dramas aren't "believable." But at least the characters' motivations are understandable. Maybe their emotions or reactions are exaggerated or over the top, but usually it is at least an understandable underlying emotion, even if it is heightened for the sake of the drama. On Glee, it's just complete nonsense.

    And this week was no exception. The three guys' reactions to seeing that they were all in Rachel's video was RIDICULOUS. As was Emma's reaction to Sue's encouragement to stand up to Will. There is no character consistency, but in addition, lots of the characters react and behave in ways that are not consistent with HUMAN behavior.

    As for American Idol, I am SHOCKED that Casey didn't go home. He was in the bottom two last week when he had a very solid performance, and this week he was clearly the worst and he wasn't in the bottom. There's not explaining it.

    As for the bleating, yes. He has a crazy fast and small vibrato. A friend at work compared it to a chipmunk, but I think lamb is pretty much right on. However, I still think it is very reminiscent of Eddie Vedder, so I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing and I don't think it would prevent him from winning and/or having a successful career. I think we are headed for Crystal, Casey, and Lee as the final three. I really can't call the final two at this point, though, because I don't understand how America is voting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My jaw dropped when I saw it was Mike and Aaron in the bottom two. My only explanation is that Casey looked really smart/snazzy/sexy in his vest ensemble that that brought in some women-in-estrus votes!

    ReplyDelete