Monday, June 22, 2009

Film - flickchart.com

If you are starting to feel like may you aren't dedicating enough hours to the internet, you might want to visit flickchart.com. This site has you choose between two movies to generate a list of your favorite films of all time. There are some weird issues with the site. One being the distractingly obtuse posters they present for some of the movies. Read the titles below to posters to make sure you know which movie you are selecting. Also, it's incredibly difficult to compare certain films. How can I compare "Kindergarten Cop" to "Taxi Driver" ?! And then there's the issue of the shame you feel based on some selections: yes, so sue me, I picked "Robin Hood" over "Ghandi". But perhaps the biggest glitch is this site has a hard time letting go of certain films that make it too high on your list. For some reason it thought "The Count of Monte Cristo" was my second favorite movie EVER and would not change its mind, nor would it present me with the proper battles between films to set the record straight. Thankfully you can kill the film off of your list and start again. Read on for my current top 20 picks, as generated by the site, in a debatable order. Hopefully Metta will post hers in the comments!

1. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Godfather
3. Rain Man
4. Love Actually
5. Little Miss Sunshine
6. Wall - E
7. Shakespeare in Love
8. Jerry Maguire
9. Braveheart
10. National Treasure
11. Forrest Gump
12. Kung Fu Hustle
13. The Last of the Mohicans (inaccurate)
14. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
15. Brokeback Mountain
16. The Usual Suspects
17. The Departed
18. The Red Violin
19. The Hours
20. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (not my favorite HP film)

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that it had been too long since I blogged and I was like, "Oh, I can blog about flickchart!" ::headdesk::

    My Top 20 is pretty good right now, but I'm sure it's not perfect. For one thing, certain movies aren't on the site at all - like Bonnie and Clyde, and Slumdog Millionaire, both of which would be probable Top 20 material. But here it is.

    1. Raging Bull
    2. Children of Men
    3. Beauty and the Beast
    4. The Departed
    5. American History X
    6. The Sting
    7. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    8. Enchanted
    9. Brokeback Mountain
    10. Taxi Driver
    11. Sleeping Beauty
    12. The Usual Suspects
    13. 12 Monkeys
    14. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    15. Shakespeare in Love
    16. Say Anything...
    17. On the Waterfront
    18. Gladiator
    19. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    20. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Not even my favorite LotR movie, but whatevs)

    My favorite thing about the site is that it reminds me of great movies that I love and haven't seen in a long time. Especially if two movies go up against each other, sometimes I feel like I need to watch them both again before choosing. Dustin and I watched 12 Monkeys last night because of Flickchart. If I could make my brain work at all, I would blog about that. Maybe tomorrow. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish you could force a comparison battle between two movies. I will have to tweet these flickdudes.

    ReplyDelete