Tuesday, October 6, 2009

TV - Greek

Why don't more people recognize what a great show this is? EW is on board. It gets good reviews. I know there are people out there watching this show, but for some reason, my friends don't seem to be on board.



I think a lot of people put this show in some kind of category where, maybe if they were bored and there was a marathon on, they would give it a shot, but it's worthy of much more attention.

Part of the reason I love this show is the same reason I love My Boys. I don't want to say that the show is realistic, because watching one episode would make it clear that it is not. However, despite the things that are unrealistic, there is something authentic about a large portion of the dialogue, the performances, and even some of the situations.

One of the things that I absolutely love about this show is how relationships ebb and flow. Now, that happens on every show, mostly in an effort to keep viewers interested, instead of getting bored. What this show manages to do that I think some shows miss, is that it shows you all the detail and provides more context and explanation for why these relationships are ebbing and flowing, and why people are taking their lives the direction they do.

Probably the most interesting is the relationship between Casey and Evan. I didn't think I would ever find Evan likable after some of the stuff that went on in the last season. And I didn't think it would ever make sense for him to be friends with Casey on the show again, or with Cappie, for that matter. But I'm back on his side now. He's likable again and, because they gave context, and, frankly, because the performance by Jake McDorman is so natural, I believe that these people would be friends with him again, and would see that he's actually changed.

Anyway, watch the show. Don't put it on the, "Oh, I'll watch it some day when I'm bored" list. It's too good for that. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's one of my top three favorite shows that are currently airing new episodes. And that's saying a lot, because I watch a lot of TV.

1 comment:

  1. I am almost caught up to live on Ugly Betty DVDs and this show is next in my queue.

    ReplyDelete