Wednesday, March 4, 2009

TV: American Idol 3/3

First off, let's address the pictures of Adam Lambert making out with some boy, as posted on VFTW.  Some people are saying these pictures will hurt his chances greatly.  I agree that that is possible, but not because (as some have written) it confirms that he is gay, but because it confirms he has a bit of poor taste.   Seriously, some people didn't know he was gay? He's a professional musical theater actor who wears more makeup than Lady GaGa.   I absolutely don't care if he's gay, and I don't even mind the pictures (you see plenty worse on facebook).  Lambert's still allright with me!

Okay so now onto last night's show.  My predicted top-3? Lil' Rounds, Scott the Blind Guy, and Ju'Not.  At least I hope the third spot goes to Ju'Not.  It may go to Jorge, who was granted the privilege of a loving split-screen by the producers.  How weird was that Barbara Walters moment?  

Do I think Scott deserves the spot? Debatable.  I think he's a much better singer when he is behind his piano and I think that his story is inspirational and heart-warming to watch.  That being said, he wasn't the best singer of the night, by far.  

I'm all about Ju'Not.  He has a soulful voice and I really appreciated his stripped-down version of "Hey There, Delilah."  I think he's a likable person, too. 

Lil' Rounds performed well in her "pimp-spot" (the last spot of the night).  It's unfortunate how hard the producers are pushing her and Gokey down America's throats.  The more they are forced on me, the more I want to reject them, regardless of the fact that they have great voices.  At least Lil' has treated his back-story with taste, and my ambivalence towards her can truly only be blamed on the producers.  Gokey, on the other hand, has a truly off-putting nature regarding the passing of his wife. 

This will be an interesting top 3 choice because it will bring some MUCH NEEDED diversity to our current top-12., who are all white.  Regardless of singing ability, the addition of two people-of-color and a differently-abled contestant (how PC was that?) are much welcomed.   Plus, I think Jorge and Anoop will be featured in the Wild-Card round, and that will balance things out even further, should they be put through. 

What about the current unbalance based on gender?  If my projected Top-3 are chosen, then we've got 3 girls and 6 guys in our current Top-9.  You'd think they'd want to bring more girls into the mix during Wild-Card week, but who?   The only one I'd be hoping for is Felicia, who I think is a sign of the cosmic forces at work.   This competition would have been much worse off without her (especially when one considers she was replacing the mumbler... "NNnn NNa na Nnn na na NNnnn Nnn Nnn Nnn").

No comments:

Post a Comment