Friday, July 17, 2009

Books - Twilght Series Part Two

We've already discussed the issues in this series regarding abusive boyfriends and lousy writing. Putting both of those aside, it's time to discuss the weirdness that is the fourth book, "Breaking Dawn." Read on for a spoiler-heavy discussion.




The first three books fit together in a nice little trio. In the first book, Bella falls in love with Edward. In the second, she falls for Jacob. In the third, she makes her choice. And even though there are plenty of adventures and mythological backstories that are shared in these books, this love-triangle is pretty much what they are about.

So with the love-triangle seemingly resolved at the end of "Eclipse," what were we to expect for the fourth book? If you guessed "something bizarre," then you win! In this book not only does Meyer dedicate a whole third of the book to a change-up in narrator, she also takes on a much darker tone. Now there are blood-thirsty vampire babies! Delicious sippy-cups of O-negative! And a birth story that just might encourage the most eager of tween readers to keep their thighs together, even if Edward creeps along.

This book would make a lot more sense if it came along some 5 years after "Eclipse" was released and was the first in a new "So Bella's a Vampire" series.

However, I've got to admit: I liked it the best out of the series. I know Metta's going to slug me in the arm for saying that, but although I realize it is very different from the first three, I like it... maybe even because of the differences. It was so bizarre I was smiling way more than I did while reading any of the previous books, and I liked those, too.

Now don't get me wrong here: this book is still laughably offensive in its treatment towards Bella, and the writing stylings haven't improved in the slightest. There's also the fact that everything gets wrapped up in the prettiest of pretty packages, saving perhaps for the fact that poor Jacob will never be able to "get with" the love of his life (as she will never develop past a 7 year old's physique). But as I had already embraced most of these issues throughout my journey reading the first three books, I was along for the ride by the time I cracked "Breaking Dawn."

The real question is: how the heck are they going to make this into a movie? The first two books should adapt easily enough, but once you throw in telepathic wolves and boys who grow larger every time you see them you're getting tricky. Then with "Breaking Dawn" you have not just the wolves, but also the unsightly birthing scene, the incredible transformation in Bella's appearance, and the fact that the newborn baby will develop to look like a 5 year old by the time the books ends.

So that should be interesting! Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting Metta's comments because I know she was not a fan of this fourth book in a major way. Perhaps my experience was enhanced by the fact I was spoiled to the fact that Bella would end up with Edward, and that she would have her baby delivered traumatically by edward biting through her uterus. Also - maybe there is something to be said that I read all four books in the course of 20 days? We shall see.

Of course - I think blog readers are used to the fact that Metta and I sometimes come down on different sides. She is a Jacob, I am an Edward. She is a Jack, I am a Sawyer. But I love her a lot anyways because that's just how awesome she is.

8 comments:

  1. Comment 1/2

    So, I should start by saying that I've kind of come to embrace the fourth book as comedy. I was explaining the plot to a friend and she was laughing and I was laughing and I was like, "Who am I kidding? I love this ridiculous thing!"

    However, when I was first reading the books, I was PISSED. For many reasons. Spoilers below.


    So, like Jenna, as far as the romance story goes, which is basically the center of the series, I felt like the first three books were kind of tied up nicely, except there was this one little loose end - which is the concept of werewolves "imprinting" and whether or not that would ever happen for Jacob and who the girl would be.

    Once it was clear that Edward was in fact going to turn Bella into a vampire (even though he believes that she will lose her soul in the process; there's true love for you), this idea started forming in the back of my head. Even though Jacob's feelings for Bella had been described differently than how it feels to imprint, they were described as something more than just a crush as well. So, I had this idea that somehow, he WOULD imprint on Bella, but how could that be? He'd already seen her, so it didn't make sense. But, maybe, I thought, if she is turned into a vampire, she'll be just different enough as a person, that he would imprint on vampire!Bella even though he didn't on human!Bella.

    Here are all the benefits of this idea - 1) It would have continued the centrality of the romantic storyline into the fourth book, keeping some continuity for the series; 2) It would have raised the stakes in that storyline, since in the first three books, even though it was central, there was never really any serious chance that Bella would leave Edward and choose Jacob, but if he imprinted on her, that might change things up a bit; 3) it would raise the issue of what happens when a werewolf imprints on a vampire (their mortal enemies) which could have been interesting and fun; and 4) it probably would have delayed or prevented Bella getting married right out of high school, which I hated.

    Instead, of that: 1) Bella and Edward got married right after high school; 2) they had sex on their honeymoon while Bella was still human, EVEN THOUGH the first three books pounded it into your head that Edward could kill her by having sex with her as a human; 3) Bella got pregnant from the one or two times they had sex; 4) the baby turns out to be some kind of half-breed who grows at an abnormally fast rate; 5) the baby abused Bella physically from the inside so that she HAD to become a vampire so that her own baby wouldn't kill her; 6) Edward ATE THE BABY OUT OF HER STOMACH!; and 7) Jacob imprinted on the stupid baby, with the really stupid name.*

    Okay, so all of that was a problem for me. Here are the other problems. As alluded to above, Edward is a douche. He has sex with Bella while she is still human, even though he thinks there's a chance he could kill her. Then, after he actually has sex with her and she's all black and blue and bruised from it, he goes ahead and does it again, instead of waiting until she becomes a vampire - since they've already decided that they are going to do that. Then, he turns her into a vampire, even though he thinks she will lose her soul. Seriously, this couple should take some tips from Buffy and Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment 2/2

    Additionally, there is basically no downside to being a vampire in these novels. It’s kind of mean of the Cullens to NOT just make everyone into vampires, since it’s clearly so awesome. They can go out in sunlight, they don’t have to kill humans, they get to keep their souls (apparently), they can have sex with humans (apparently), there is no downside!

    In the first three books, there appeared to be two possible downsides: 1) at least according to Edward, they lose their souls (though it’s not clear what that means or why it matters, since they are still capable of loving and being “good” people); and 2) if they were unlucky enough to fall in love with a human, sex would be nearly impossible, because it would be so dangerous for the human. Book four wipes those out. So, after book four, there is just no reason to not turn everyone into vampires.

    Anyway, I don’t think the time span of reading the books is what made the difference. I read all four books last summer in about a week and a half right before the fourth book came out. But, it might have a little bit to do with the fact that I have a whole lot of teenage vampire romance mythology stored up in my brain, and while the first three books (mostly) conformed, or at least fit in with that mythology, the fourth just does not, so it was very jarring for me. That’s not to try and validate my opinion; just to say that we were approaching the entire series from very different places.

    *A brief note on the baby name. She names the baby “Renesme” (pronounced reh-nehz-may), which is a combination of her mother’s name and Edward’s mother’s name. While I think that is just a stupid way to name a baby, and I think the name is ugly, I actually think it is (possibly accidentally) a really excellent detail in the book. That is EXACTLY the kind of thing that an 18 year old mother would think was super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you aside on the baby name! SO TRUE. I can't believe if it was actually going to be a baby boy she would have named it "Edward Jacob." ACCCCKk!

    And yes, I also viewed the fourth book more as a comedy than anything else. All of the books fell in the wondrous category of "good/bad" also known as "so bad it's good" for me.

    And, a'hem, Metta I'm kind of super sad you didn't write a little love letter to me at the end of your comments like I did to you. ::heartbreak::

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just didn't want to gross out any other readers with the gushiness of a love letter to you. But, of course, I love you and you're awesome, even though we differ on a lot of books/movies/TV stuff. Considering how we differ with regards to guys in fiction, I'm a little worried about what will happen if you ever watch Buffy. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. And I'll still love you, even if we disagree on that one . . . probably.

    I do have to say that only the last book is good/bad for me (though the movie of the first book is definitely also good/bad). The first three are just good (though not great), despite the bad writing. I'm sticking with my potato chips analogy. The first three books are potato chips. They're just plain good, even though I know they aren't good FOR me. The fourth book is like . . . I don't know, maybe like those shots made out of Jager and Goldschlager. It's so bad that it's good, it isn't good for you, and it is funny. What were those shots called? Flaming Nazis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they were called Flaming Nazis. The last time I had one was the infamous last time when Dustin scaled a wall in your living room.

    I really like the idea of your Jacob imprinting on vampire!Bella. That would have been super interesting.

    And I don't know what you're talking about about there being no downside to being a vampire. I mean seriously. Who wants to be stunningly gorgeous and be able to see an 8 color rainbow and feel love and sex more powerfully than ever conceivable to the human imagination??!! Sounds awful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think the comments are sometimes more amusing to read than the main posts, haha :) i read the fourth book while i was still in my OMG TWILIGHT!! stage of my life, and still. still. STILL. it was just absolutely unbelievable, i had to put it down and say to myself, what IS this?!?!

    anyways, i don't have anything more to add to the above other than i wholeheartedly agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right?! I think I had to set it down a few times, as well. And like I said, I read all four in like a week and a half, so you can safely assume that I was in an OMG TWILIGHT phase as well. It was crazy, crazy, crazy. :o)

    Glad you're enjoying the blog and the comments. I know Drew watched the Very Potter Musical, but you definitely should, as well, if you haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he just told me about it tonight. i watched it through straight (well, with one interruption: drew called). it is TOTALLY AWESOME!! i love it so so much and i totally want the soundtrack! they did such a great job including little bits and pieces of it, and the characters are ridiculously funny! hurray for awesome fans!!!

    ReplyDelete