Tuesday, July 21, 2009

TV - 2009 Emmy Nominations

Recently the nominees for the 2009 Emmy's were released. There were few changes from the nominations of last year, especially in the Drama category. However, Neil Patrick Harris hosting is a major reason to tune-in. The comparison of his sure-to-be awesome take as master of ceremonies to the reality TV hosts debacle of last year will be startling! Furthermore, Jeremy Piven was not nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series this year, making it seem like NPH will finally get the much deserved award. Read more for further discussion on the few surprise nominees and the snubs.





The category of Best Comedy Series is the most improved. "How I Met Your Mother" finally makes the cut, and "Two and a Half Men" is finally taken off the list. "Flight of the Conchords" is given a nod, which is sort of a better-late-than-never nom considering Season Two was not nearly as brilliant as Season One. "Family Guy" shocked many for its nomination. It's the first animated series to ever be given the nod! The big WTF, though, goes to the nomination of "Entourage," a show that when it's at it's best is only a B minus production and last year was sub-par even by those standards. In the place of "Entourage" should be "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." Just in case you forgot, Season Four of the always hilarious "...Sunny..." featured not just the cannibalism episode but also "Who Pooped the Bed?": one of the funniest half-hours to ever grace basic cable.

As for Best Actor in a Comedy Series, I was really happy and surprised to see Jemaine Clement get a nomination for his lovely, quirky performance in "... Conchords." I was also happy to see Jim Parsons get due praise for his performance on "The Big Bang Theory," as he is good enough on that show to make my husband and I tune-in every week despite the corny jokes and lame laugh-track. That's really saying something. The WTF here goes to Tony Shalhoub: really? People are still watching "Monk"?

For the Supporting Actor and Actress nominations I was happy to see Jack McBrayer, Tracy Morgan, Kristen Wiig, Kristen Chenoweth, and Jane Krakowski. I was stupefied by Kevin Dillon making it on the list again.

Moving on to the Drama categories, there isn't much to say as there are barely any changes to the nominations list from last year. The best of the few changes was that "Big Love" was added to the nomination list for Best Drama Series. However, one of the major snubs was that none of the amazing female actresses from Big Love (specifically Chloƫ Sevigny and Amanda Seyfried) were chosen.

And really? House? Last Season was just about as Jump-the-Sharky as seasons can get. There were hallucinations, inexplicable suicides, and then more hallucinations. In its place on the Best Drama list should have been... DUH... BATTLESTAR GA-FREAKIN-LACTICA! That this show wasn't nominated, and hasn't been nominated, and that none of the actors weren't and haven't been nominated is a CRIME punishable by groin kickings.

3 comments:

  1. So, while I agree that Entourage was sub-par last year, I've gotta say that it is definitely better than a B minus show when it's at it's best. For me, it's a B plus show when it's at it's best. And I love me some Johnny Drama, so I've got no problems with the Kevin Dillon nomination.

    Definitely in agreement on the major snubx. Big Love and Battlestar Galactica (but especially BSG) ae definitely some of the best television out there, and it sucks that the voters can't see that.

    Here are my WTFs. Mariska Hargitray - AGAIN! Okay, seriously, I know the Emmy people love her so much and can't get enough of her, but seriously. What is this, like, her twentieth nomination!? Even if you assume that she really is that awesome (which I seriously doubt is the case) can't we just all say, yep, she's great, she's gotten plenty of recognition for her work, and then just retire her from the list to make room for some incredibly deserving women.

    Second, I know you don't watch In Treatment, but the fact that Hope Davis and Diane Weist were the women nominated from that show, while Allison Pill was clearly the stand-out of the season. We didn't completely finish the season because of the move to GR and lack of HBO, but I find it hard to believe that she was overshadowed by the end of the season. That being said, Hope Davis and Diane Weist were both phenomenal, because all of the acting on that show is amazing. It's really like a master class for acting, even if you don't like the concept or the story, the acting is amazing.

    I also agree that it's a crime that Always Sunny didn't get any noms. I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a bold statement. Kaitlin Olsen is the funniest woman on television. I know people focus on Charlie and whoever else, but Kaitlin Olsen is amazing. She's doing what Anna Farris is trying to do, but she's much funnier and she's doing it on television. Not only does the series deserve a nomination, but she deserves a comedy acting nomination as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the complete lack of grammar and spelling. I was trying to post quickly during a study break and all my attention to those details went out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about my "Entourage" grade ever since I wrote this post this morning. I agree it's too harsh, especially when you consider that I've watched every single episode eagerly, even if I was met with disappointment half-way through. I think I'll settle with giving it an average rating of 84%.

    Also - big confession, when I wrote this I though Kevin Dillon was Kevin Connolly. Because I'm an idiot and the fact that Kevin Dillon is obviously Matt Dillon's brother is not enough to save me from my idiocy. Anyway, I am much more comfortable with the Kevin Dillon nomination than I would be with a Kevin Connolly one.

    YES! Kaitlin Olsen is absolutely the funniest woman on television!! I couldn't agree more. I know the show is scheduled to go through Season 8, so there's still hope for this show gaining more recognition. I think I heard something about it being one of the most popular show's watched on Hulu...

    And please, Metta, never apologize for poor grammar and spelling, because then I'll feel like I'll have to apologize and I just don't have the time to be posting lengthy apologies or to edit my own stream of conscious ranting.

    ReplyDelete