Thursday, February 19, 2009

TV: American Idol 2/19

So I was wrong about Braddy, and that's a bummer.  Last night's result show made me like him a lot more as I could get a better sense of his personality.   And Michael Sarver's repeat performance just reiterated the fact that the guy is OK at best, whereas Braddy seriously had a set of pipes.  However, Sarver abandoned his R&B sensibilities for a country-twinged pop tune and the Carrie Underwood voters obviously picked him as a potential Idol representing the hardworking, family-orientated, red-staters. 

Other items of note: the opening number was great!  Maybe not "great" in terms of a perfect performance by each contestant, or that it was without cheesiness.  However, considering how incredibly cheesy these opening numbers have been in past seasons, I was impressed.  And they even picked a contemporary song!  Wowie! 

The Gokey love-fest continued.  I have to quote Michael Sezlak from EW that obviously the producers of Idol love Gokey "more than Ford, Coca-Cola, and AT&T combined."  It is justified? The kid can sing, but I'm not sold, yet. 

Jackie Tohn: I love you. 

2 comments:

  1. What about ANOOP!? I thought Anoop would be the third. I knew Ricky Braddy was out because my reaction was basically, "Who's that, now?" And I think everyone else's was as well. I know Anoop was sharp through his whole song, but I like him. I think he's my favorite, thought it was clear last night that despite being overhyped by the judges, Danny Gokey was far and away the best of the night. But as Simon put it, Anoop is just so likeable. I'm predicting that Anoop makes it through in the Wild Card round and that Ricky Braddy isn't even included in that round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Anoop is awesome. I was disappointed by his performance, but I thought he was super during Hollywood week! I definitely think he'll be a wild-card (especially considering he was only 20,000 short of beating Michael).

    ReplyDelete