Thursday, February 19, 2009

TV: Top Chef's Finale Part 1

Lots of good things about last night's second-to-last episode.  First of all, thank GOD Gail is BACK.  Goodbye Toby!  No one will miss you.  Please never come back.  

The come-back kid: Jeff won his way into the semi-finals.  I wish they would have had time to discuss the food from the quick-fire so I could know why Jeff beat my beloved Jamie, but I trust he provided a great meal.   Bringing back boosted contestants never settles very well with me, however, considering how this show operates on a case-by-case basis*, it seems okay that they would give these guys a chance to prove that their dismissal dish was a fluke.   That being said, I'm glad Jeff didn't win his way back in even if his presentation was better than Stefan and Fabio's because fair is fair and he was ousted. 

I think I should mention how much I love the new (?) shorties that Top Chef has thrown in the middle of the show.  Do you know what I mean?: the little minute long scenes they toss in during the middle of a commercial break.  In my favorite one we learned that Jeff was an incredible magician.  In this episode we learned Fabio likes to cross-dress for Halloween. 

I'm really sad to see Fabio go, but I think it's fair.  Actually, I would say that I'm surprised Jamie did not surpass him.   Fabio said the famous last words of a Top Chef contestant, "I'm going to put my own spin on it."  He may not have said that exactly, but his inability to produce a 100% completely Creole presentation got him.  Whenever a contestant abandons tradition for their own interpretation, it's an incredibly risky move.  See Hosea's shrimp scampi. 

So the final three are Carla, Hosea, and Stefan.  I like Hosea, despite his incomprehensible fling with Leah, but I don't think he stands a chance.  He hasn't performed all-that-strong in the past and he's up against a woman cooking up steam, and Stefan who has won the vast majority of the challenges.    Who will win? It's Soul vs. Sweden!  I'm praying for Carla who cooks with her heart and with a nod towards simplicity.  However, I bet she wins fan favorite and that making it to the finale is enough to let her feel like a winner.   

No comments:

Post a Comment