Thursday, February 26, 2009

TV: American Idol 2/25

Okay, so this was a weird night.   

I think the singing was overall pretty mediocre.  However, maybe once we get our final 12 I'll be more confident in the abilities of this season's contestants. 

I loved how many contemporary songs were chosen.  Regardless of how well they were song, what a relief to hear more modern tunes like "Love Song," "Viva La Vida," and "Put Your Records On."  Unless you are going to completely re-do the arrangement to modernize the song, please stay away from such moldies as "Man in the Mirror" and "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"... BORING. 

Let me take a moment to discuss Norman Gentle / Nick Mitchell.  I can't believe he sang "...I'm not Going" AGAIN.  That totals 3 times he has performed this number on Idol.  I don't think he should make it through because this is not the stage for comedy, and I LOVED that Ryan said flat-out that he doesn't think he deserves it.  

Now for who I think will go through: Adam Lambert and Allison.  As for the third? I have no idea this week!  I'm going to hope that it's Jesse.  I really like her and I think she has potential to grow into being an even performer.  I hope it's not Megan Corkey.  I absolutely do NOT get that girl.  I seriously thought she was one of the bad/joke auditions when we first saw her.  

On a side note: Paula said it was a mistake to have four judges.  She did not slam Kara when saying this, leading me (and many others) to believe this is all part of Paula working out a graceful exit from the show.  I hope she does leave, because she's never really added anything of value in my book and I would love to allow Kara more time to critique.  She really thinks about the viability of each contestant and I think she elevates the conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment