Sunday, February 22, 2009

Film: Oscar Picks

Actor:  Sean Penn in "Milk"
I would love for Mickey Rourke to win for his performance for "The Wrestler."   Not only would it be fun to hear his acceptance speech, but I also love a good come-back story.  That being said, Sean Penn transformed completely to take on his role as Harvey Milk.  It was definitely an Oscar worthy performance and I think it will win partly because of the protest against Proposition 8 in California.  I think a win here would supplement the loss "Milk" will endure in the Best Picture category. 

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger in "The Dark Night"
Would Heath win in this category had it not been for his unfortunate passing? We'll never know.  However, a post-mortem award is all but a give-in considering his quality of work.   He was amazing as the Joker and I do believe he would have been nominated even if he was still alive today.

Actress: Kate Winslet in "The Reader"
Much like how Heath will win because it is a symbolic gesture towards the actor's entire life's work, Kate will win because she produced two stellar performances this year.  I believe that the nod here will be for both her work in "The Reader" (where she was magnificent), but also for her powerful performance in "Revolutionary Road."  

Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz in "Vicky Christina Barcelona"
Penelope was really able to shine in this role, as she was able to embrace her Spanish language and culture.  It is when she is acting in Spanish roles when I think she is able to produce her best work.    Furthermore, I think this is sort of a default win.  I don't believe Hensen's role allowed her to truly flex her acting muscles, and I think the Doubt girls will split the votes.  However, if Amy Adams wins: hooray!  She is a tremendous talent and joy to watch.  Tomei did a nice job in "The Wrestler," but I don't see it taking the prize in this competitive category. 

Animated Feature: Wall-E.  
Where was the Best Picture nod for this incredible film?  The win here will be a consolation prize. 

Art Direction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The best and most elaborate set design has to go to this epic film spanning time and the globe. 

Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire

Costume Design: The Duchess
Does a period piece ever lose in this category?  Not to mention the three-foot tall wigs. 

Directing: Slumdog Millionaire

Documentary Feature: Man on Wire
This was an amazing film.   If you haven't seen it yet, this documentary does an incredible job with recreated scenes and the entire movie has the feeling of a delightful caper.   The footage of the actual act is paralyzing in its frightfulness and powerfulness.  And of course, Phillipe Petite is a joyous performer and story-teller.   I have not seen any of the other films in this category.   

Documentary Short: The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306
I haven't seen any of these films, but I'll go with the Martin Luther King Jr. pick considering our currently celebratory climate in regards to racial progress. 

Film Editing: Slumdog Millionaire
With the fast-paced flash-backs, I think this is another deserved win for an amazing film. 

Foreign Language Film: The Class
I haven't seen any of these films, but I hear this movie documenting the students of varied faiths and ethnicities in a french classroom is actually one of the favorites of the entire year for many critics. 

Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Seems like a no-brainer! Does the CGI utilized to aid the aging apply to this category?

Original Score: Slumdog Millionaire

Original Song: Jai Ho
Could the Slumdog songs split the vote?  Seems possible, but Peter Gabriel also threw a tantrum recently regarding the montage format for the Oscar performances making it even less likely that the Academy will pick his song for the win.  Plus, who can resist a Bollywood dance number?

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
Considered the underdog just months ago, now the front-runner, this film is amazing!  Powerful, depressing, hopeful, all in the same movie.  I love this picture! 

Short Film, Animated: Presto
It was presented before Wall-E, so we know a lot of people got to see this funny magician's assistant piece. 

Short Film, Live Action: Spielzeugland (Toyland)
A good version of "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas."  

Sound Editing and Sound Mixing: The Dark Knight
Perhaps I should have picked The Dark Knight for one and Wall-E for the other, to ensure I got 1 point.  My theory is that both of these awards will go to the same movie, and that the Academy usually gives the nod to an action picture.  I did no research to back-up either of those claims. 

Visual Effects: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Adapted Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire
I didn't read the book this film was based on, however, I think the screenplay was brilliant.  Also, as I've already mentioned, I did find the dialogue in The Reader disappointing when compared to the masterpiece book. 

Original Screenplay: Milk
My friend made a lot of better points than I did for why Milk could win in this category.  For one, it presents a decent consolation prize (as well as Best Actor?) to the movie that couldn't beat Slumdog for Best Picture.  For another, there were many screenplays floating around about the life of Harvey Milk that never made it to production.  This was the screenplay that was good enough to honor the man's life.   Lastly, I think that any bio-pic screenplay is especially challenging and should be honored when done-well.  Although history has created the plot-points, the writer must shrink the life to a reasonable time-length while still being true to the events that transpired and the characters involved.  

We'll see how I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment