Tuesday, February 24, 2009

TV: Oscar Telecast

I've heard both positive and negative reviews of this year's Oscars telecast, and frankly, I'm surprised!  For me, it was the best Academy Awards presentation I can remember! 

I really liked how the same presenter duos gave away multiple and related awards.  This really helped speed things along and cut down on the awkward TelePrompTer banter (not that there was even too much of that this year!  The script was greatly improved from past shows).  

My favorite part was how they gave away the top acting awards.  Having previous winners take a moment to give a little speech about each of the nominees was moving.  It created the feeling that it truly would be an honor "just to be nominated," for all of the world would hear one of the great acting talents take a moment to give you credit and congratulations.  Furthermore, it heightened the honor of actually winning: if you won the award then you would get to be a part of that magnificent club.   I hope this remains a part of the Oscar show every year from now on. 

Other favorite bits:
  • "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto"
  • Focusing more on just honoring 2008 movies in clip montages rather than the entire history of film. 
  • Ben Stiller as Joaquin Pheonix
  • Sean Penn saying "I know how hard I make it to appreciate me"
And just a note on fashion:  liked the muted color scheme and the structural element to many of the gowns.  I was not a fan of the froo-froo cupcake gowns worn by Miley Cyrus and Sarah Jessica Parker.  But the winner for the worst?  Reese Witherspoon!  Combine the disastrous gown with seriously hideous make-up, and you've turned hotness into a hot mess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment