Friday, September 11, 2009

TV - Glee Revisited

When I saw the pilot of Glee (as blogged about HERE) I was entertained, but skeptical. I can say after seeing the second episode that I am completely on board now. This show has spunk and awkwardness that is rare for television. Almost every one of Jane Lych's lines are forever-quoteable ("That was the most offensive thing I've seen in 20 years of teaching — and that includes an elementary school production of Hair"). And the song choices this episode were also superb (LOVED "Take a Bow"). I really hope the show can keep its ratings up while also keeping the kookiness and the more PG-13 themes and jokes.




2 comments:

  1. Take a Bow was in my head for the entire next day. Loved it.

    My only issue was the assembly. The reaction from the students should have been 100% negative. Or else, only that one nerdy kid who was into Rachel should have cheered. It was ridiculous that the school responded to that number. I hate to call things implausible in shows that are clearly not meant to be "realistic," but I'm going to do it here. The school reaction was implausible. They should have been even worse off doing the number they did than they would have been doing Freak Out.

    Other than that, it was basically perfect. I loved Goldigger. I love that the club is getting bigger, and that there will always be some tension between the original core group and the add-ons.

    Anyway, I was already totally on board, and I remain on board. Yay, Glee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely was expecting the audience to erupt in laughter. Teenagers are too apathetic to applaud much, and certainly not losers singing a cappella.

    One other thing I wanted to mention about this show is the perfection of the concept of teens singing popular songs that relate to their angst-y situations. I've been reading about people talking about if a "musical" show can survive because Hugh Jackman's Vegas one bombed, and that is so not even on the same page with this show. When they aren't performing-performing, these kids are taking songs that speak to them and singing them in their bedrooms or to themselves in their heads. That IS realistic.

    ReplyDelete