Friday, September 11, 2009

TV - Project Runway 9/10

I've never been a fan of the whole idea that producers get involved in competition-type reality shows in order to keep the interesting people on the show. But, in my opinion, they needed to do a little more of that on this season of Project Runway.


So, I'm not a fan of the way over the top, super out there designers. Usually, I'm not even a fan of the "good" ones who are way over the top. But they do make the show a little more interesting. This season, they eliminated the two "kooks" on the very first two weeks, and in week four, they eliminated the only black woman, who was also prone to more colorful (though usually tasteless) creations. To be fair, she did get kicked out for designing a pretty boring black dress that I could probably go buy at Sears. But they have eliminated a lot of entertainment value in the first three weeks.

What remains are a number of very talented designers, but also a number of designers who don't really stand out from one another - with some exceptions, obviously - and no one who I would describe as even a little bit avant garde.

I'll still watch, because I just like seeing the runway show with all the pretty outfits, but I think from a pure entertainment value/ratings game perspective, the producers made a mistake. Especially since, in each of the first two contestants to be eliminated were up against the guy who basically sent a model down the runway covered in pantyhose material - who was subsequently eliminated in week three. I would rather have had an additional week of annoying and bizarre Malvin than an extra week of annoying and boring Mitchell.

On another note, Gordana's dress was far and away my favorite last night, and I didn't get the winning outfit at all. It looked sloppy and scrunched up and just plain ugly.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a little bit afraid that they are going to spend more time showcasing the insufferable Nicolas (he likes to design with feathers and champagne, remember?) as he is the only "personality" left. I hope they give more time to Gordana, who is the Eastern European Uli and really talented (loved her dress this past week, too)

    I couldn't believe they didn't single out Louise's outfit. This looks amazing, not just in design but also in complex, impeccable construction:

    http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/project-runway/rate-the-runway/season-6-episode-4?cachepageclear#id=2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I also loved Louise's outfit. It stuck in my head to the point where I was thinking about it yesterday for no particular reason. It was very nice.

    Nicolas is a "personality," but I actually don't think his clothes are that unique. I generally like them - for instance, I liked his dress this week - but they kind of fall in the same category as all of the remaining designers for me. I guess my point was that we aren't going to have a Chris March or Santino or Jay or anyone whose default is avant garde. Which is kind of a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I better understand your critique now. We HAVE lost the biggest avant garde designers and are now left with a batch of all ready-to-wear type designers. I was more focused on the fact that we lost the two biggest weirdos... ahem... I mean "personalities."

    ReplyDelete