Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Just watched our DVD of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. To be fair, this doesn't really fit into the categories for this blog, since it was an internet show, but I'm including it because it is awesome. And when you watch it on DVD, it's kind of like a short movie, or a stand alone TV show.

Anyway, I know this blog has been dominated by American Idol and Joss Whedon fawning for the last few days, but I am pretty sure that I warned you that I would complain and rave about the same things over and over, so you should just accept it. I'll talk about something else sometime.

So, I think anyone who likes Dr. Horrible should also watch Buffy. If this wasn't inspired by the nerd villains in season 6 of Buffy, I would be extremely shocked. The similarities are pretty major (one similarity is that they are both awesome). Anyway, I like auteurs, and I like when they consistently use the same troup of actors, or when there are callbacks to other works. It rewards the watcher for loyalty to the creator, and since I have watched everything Joss has ever done, I get huge rewards for continuing to watch everything he does. So, the story is, you should be loyal to creators, because it's a different way of experiencing media. I'm the same with books and graphic novels, and - to some extent - movies.

Now we are watching the musical commentary. It's pretty funny so far. I'm a huge fan of self-reflective stuff, and I don't think there has ever been anything as self-reflective as this. I mean, the musical itself is self-reflective, then a commentary is always self-reflective, and then this musical commentary is just like an explosion of self-reflectivity (that's a word, I've decided).

Right now, Nathan Fillion (AKA Captain Hammer) is singing a song in the commentary called "I'm Better than Neil" - all about how he's better than Neil Patrick Harris (AKA Dr. Horrible). It is amazing. It might be my favorite song from the commentary, I'll let you know.

Felicia Day is now singing about her previous web series - The Guild, and about her acting process, and her shoes. She is super cute. She claims to have "baker's dozens" of fans. They come in thirteens.

So, now they are singing about how they bonded over playing a game called Ninja Ropes.

If I ever have to sing for an audition for anything ever again, I'm going to sing something from this commentary. Probably the song going on right now, which is about the ensemble singers. Joss needs to write and produce a Broadway musical. He's on an internet kick right now, but I hope he eventually does the Broadway thing. We'd totally fly to see that.

Sorry this is a little babbly and stream of consciousness. I just really wanted to write about this, but I didn't want to wait.

Now a poor girl is singing about how Asians aren't in movies or on TV. It's pretty true. There was that Margaret Cho show, but really, it's not common. Totally justified complaint. But also really funny.

Joss is singing his song about why commentaries are bizarre. I saw him perform this on This American Life. It's probably the most self-reflective of all the self-reflective stuff in this commentary.

Finally, Neil Patrick Harris has a song. It's the most Sondheim-esqe of Joss's songs, which are all Sondheim-esque. There was actually something about that, in an earlier song, about how the meter of the songs change unexpectedly, but I forgot to mention it at the time.

Now they called us all effing nerds for watching the entire musical commentary. I feel awesome. Not only did I watch the whole commentary, but I blogged about it while it was happening. I think that makes me a strataspheric nerd. That's also a word.

So, I think that's enough. I'm feeling insecure about my cool factor, so I have to stop this. If you haven't seen it yet, watch Dr. Horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment