Wednesday, May 13, 2009

TV - American Idol 5/12

Man I wish someone would leak voting totals for each contestant.  Is Kris Allen really the "dark horse?"  Is that based on actual voting results, or just the opinion of the producers who have been pimping The Gokey from day one?  God I hope it's just the latter: redeem yourself, America!  Send the Gokster packing!   If America voted The Gokey home in favor of an Adam and Kris finale, I'd feel that warm gooeyness I felt on the day of the presidential election.  

If Adam and Kris were the final two: who would really care who won?  In fact, I'd be happy for Adam to NOT win and NOT be subjected to the Idol machine.   But if it was between Adam and Gokey, I'd need Adam to win so I could continue to feel the patriotism I'm still enjoying since November, 2008.  It'd be a matter of principle. 

Now about last night's show:  I thought Adam performed well on both of his numbers.  Neither were my favorite of his performances, but I LOVED that he picked Crying (THIS is how you sing Aerosmith, Danny**)!  However, I didn't love the arrangement of that song (kind of all over the place, no?) and that back-up singer almost ruined the number.   Band sabotage!  

** People have been ragging on Danny's final note/scream from last week's performance of "Dream-On" but that was NOT THE WORST PART about that number!  HE INTERJECTED 
"DOOT-DOOT-DOOT" INTO THAT ROCK ANTHEM, PEOPLE!  UNFORGIVABLE!

By the way, the judge's pick songs leaked on-line and apparently Simon was also rolling around having Adam sing "Wicked Game" by Chris Issak.  I hope Adam performs this song next week!  That'd be awesome.

I thought Kris did okay on "Apologize."  He could have benefitted from dropping it down a key or two so he could land safely on those "Too Late" high notes (that repeat over and over again).   But Kris gets major bonus points in my book for tackling the Kanye tune "Heartless": Genius Song Choice!  

Kris and Adam are generally both smart about song arrangement, taking well-known songs and flipping them on their heads, making their performances unique and not karaoke.   When Randy praises Danny, he often says "Ya know we talk a lot about arrangement or whatever, but let's not forget this is a singing competition, dawg, ya know, for me for you?"  I disagree!  This is a competition for who would make the best Pop Artist.  It's about singing, yes, but it's also about musicality.  

I love Paula for picking "Dance Little Sister (doot doot doot)" for Danny. You're right, Paula!: The Gokey would be relevant if we were in the late 1980s, early 1990s!  I could hear any number of Danny riffs playing as background music to a Cosby episode... or promoting new, Crystal Clear Pepsi!   As for Danny's performance of "You are so Beauitful?" No comment: I had to fast-forward through it.  I danced to that song with my father at my wedding and I'm not about to hear it polluted by Satan's spawn.   

Final arguments for a Kris/Adam finale:  Danny is a bad person.  Also, Kris and Adam landed spots on the 2009 AfterElton Hot 100!   The gays do not support The Gokey, and neither should the rest of America. 

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that Danny's "You Are So Beautiful" was definitely the best he's done, probably since the Top 12. Still annoying, but it reminded me, for a brief instant, that I used to like the guy.

    And I am in absolute agreement about Gokey's "Dream On." I keep talking to people who semi-like him and they say, "Oh, it was fine until that last note." NO IT WASN'T! It was awful from the very beginning. Yuck.

    Anyway, I did my part. I voted for both Adam and Kris last night, so hopefully that will help. DialIdol has all three very close, but has Danny at the bottom - just by a very small margin. Hopefully, America will get it right.

    ReplyDelete